Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense
Aegis Ashore Fact Sheet (PDF*)
Aegis Ashore is a land-based capability of the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) System to address the evolving ballistic missile security environment. The re-locatable deckhouse is equipped with the Aegis BMD weapon system and Standard Missile-3 (SM-3), with upgrades being phased during this decade. Each Aegis BMD upgrade provides increased capability for countering ballistic missile threats.
In addition to Aegis BMD ships, Aegis Ashore is part of Phased Adaptive Approach (PAA) Phases II and III.
- Uses the same combat system elements (AN/SPY-1 Radar, Command, Control, Communications, Computers and Intelligence systems, Vertical Launching System, computer processors, display system, power supplies and cooling) that are used onboard the Navy’s new construction Aegis BMD Destroyers.
- Conducting flight tests at the Aegis Ashore Missile Defense Test Complex at Pacific Missile Range Facility (PMRF) in Kauai, Hawaii. Each test will increase the operational realism and complexity of targets and scenarios and will be witnessed by Navy and Department of Defense test agents.
- Integrates advances in sensor technology such as launch of an SM-3 missile in response to remote sensor data.
- Defeats short- to intermediate-range ballistic missile threats.
- Incorporates future capability upgrades in association with Aegis BMD Program of Record.
Aegis Ashore Missile Defense Test Complex (AAMDTC)
- The AAMDTC at the PMRF is a test and evaluation center in the development of the PAA. The test complex leverages the Aegis BMD Weapon System and the new SM-3 Block IB missile for PAA Phase II deployment, as well as, supports deployment decisions and upgrades of future PAA Phase capabilities.
- The AAMDTC fired the first land-based SM-3 Block IB missile in May 2014.
- In 2015, Aegis Ashore will be installed in Romania as part of the PAA Phase II. This deployed capability will use Aegis BMD 5.0 CU and SM-3 Block IB to provide ballistic missile coverage of southern Europe.
- In 2018, Aegis Ashore will be installed in Poland, as part of the PAA Phase III. This deployed capability will use Aegis BMD 5.1 and SM-3 Blocks IB and IIA to support increased additional defense of Europe.
- Engagement of longer range ballistic missiles
[top of page]