Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense
Aegis Ashore Fact Sheet (PDF*)
Aegis Ashore is the land-based component of the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) System. Aegis Ashore adapts the present and future Aegis BMD capabilities to address the evolving ballistic missile security environment. Aegis BMD and Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) upgrades are being phased into deployed Aegis BMD ships and land-based facilities during this decade. Each Aegis BMD upgrade provides increased capability for countering ballistic missile threats. The land-based system is designed to be removable to support worldwide deployment. In addition to Aegis BMD at sea, Aegis Ashore is part of Phased Adaptive Approach (PAA) Phases II and III.
- Use the same components (AN/SPY-1 Radar, Command, Control, Communications, Computers and Intelligence (C4I) systems, Vertical Launch System, computer processors, display system, power supplies and water coolers) that are used onboard the Navy’s new construction Aegis BMD Destroyers.
- Will conduct flight tests at the Aegis Ashore Missile Defense Test Complex (AAMDTC) at Pacific Missile Range Facility in Kauai, Hawaii. Each test will increase the operational realism and complexity of targets and scenarios and will be witnessed by Navy and Defense Department test agents.
- Integrates advances in sensor technology such as launch of an SM-3 missile in response to remote sensor data.
- Defeats short- to intermediate-range ballistic missile threats.
- Incorporates future capability upgrades in association with Aegis BMD Program of Record.
Aegis Ashore Missile Defense Test Complex (AAMDTC)
- The AAMDTC, being built at the Pacific Missile Range Facility in Kauai, Hawaii, will be a test and evaluation center in the development of the second phase of the PAA. The test complex will leverage the Aegis BMD Weapon System and the new SM-3 Block IB missile for PAA Phase II deployment, as well as, support deployment decisions and upgrades of future PAA Phase capabilities.
- The first land-based SM-3 Block IB missiles will be fired in 2014.
- In 2015, Aegis Ashore will be installed in Romania, as part of the PAA Phase II. This deployed capability will use Aegis BMD 5.0 CU and SM-3 Block IB to provide ballistic missile coverage of Southern Europe.
- In 2018, Aegis Ashore will be installed in Poland, as part of the PAA Phase III. This deployed capability will use Aegis BMD 5.1 and SM-3 Block IB and IIA to support defense of Northern Europe.
- Engagement of longer range ballistic missiles
- Enhanced terminal capability against short and medium range ballistic missiles
[top of page]